Saturday, July 25, 2009

Limoncello




I'm in the process of making a limoncello which should be ready on 8/27. At this point it's simply mellowing out, but here's how I've put it together:

1 1/2 cup decent vodka (I used Skyy, which isn't that decent)
8 lemons
1 cup Sugar
1 cup water
A mason jar
A middling amount of upper body strength
The passage of time

1. Peel zest from 4 lemons avoiding the white pith if possible
2. Pour vodka into the mason jar and add the zest
3. Seal and label jar
4. Let sit for two weeks, shaking daily

Musical interlude…

5. Strain out and discard zest
6. Creat simple syrup by combining sugar and water in saucepan and heating until sugar dissolves
7. Let syrup cool completely
8. Squeeze remaining 4 lemons, removing seeds, and add juice to the syrup
9. Add lemon syrup to infused vodka and let it mellow for 6 weeks

Extremely long musical interlude…

10. Realize that you are too poor to afford an airplane ticket and the only way you are getting back to Italy is by closing your eyes and downing the entire mason jar in one gigantic swig OR slightly chill and take little sips out of a thimble glass like a mystical fairy

I'd imagine that, should this recipe produce something ingestible, it will make for a refreshing summer libation. I for one will be thinking fondly of my trip with Sam to Capri while I drink. Salut!

2 comments:

  1. I'll be interested to hear if this produces enough lemon flavor since the liquor is only 80 proof and it only sits for 2 weeks. I never thought to use Skyy vodka. I've had it before but I just drank it, not knowing it was not that great. Goes to show what I know about vodkas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This ended up being very good and worth the wait involved. And Skyy isn't that bad of a vodka, I'm just being an asshole. Anyway, about to re-embark on a similar journey on a larger scale. Sam bought me a 3 gallon infusing jar with spigot for the holidays and I plan to fill the whole thing in time for endless amounts of summertime chilled limoncello!! Viva Italia!

    ReplyDelete